Leadership in the 21st Century
Date of Recording
Kris Levickis, who is Vice President of Oracle Systems Support Delivery for Asia Pacific & Japan, delivered an honest and candid talk about what it takes to succeed as a leader in the 21st century. Originally from Melbourne, Kris has lived and worked in 5 other cities in the world – Atlanta, London, Moscow, Singapore and Sydney.
In this honest and motivational talk, Kris shared how he was able to rise from a humble beginning as a Target “clothes hanger” to a successful corporate leader at Oracle.
The lessons he shared included:
- Leaders don’t make excuses
- No one can control your emotions except yourself
- One the best tips about leadership and managing people is to ask the right questions
- Language matters – you can gauge employee commitment by their use of “will” versus “should”
- Reflect continually to become more self aware
- You have got to trust yourself first before anyone would trust you
- It’s important to build a trust bank account with people you work with
- Be resolute about resolutions
- Integrity is paramount
- Have a superior work ethic. Hard work creates opportunities
- Have the courage to embrace change and take risks
- Preparation is key even for meetings
- Do what you are passionate about
- Focus on continuous learning – e.g., find a mentor
Organizational Behavior and Theory
Leadership in the 21st Century. (2016). Business Guest Speakers Video Series.
Available at: http://ink.library.smu.edu.sg/bizvideoseries/4